One Year Warranty Protection
The program warrants that the home is free from defects in materials and workmanship, is fit to live in, and meets the Ontario Building Code requirements for one year from the date that the purchaser was entitled to occupy.
Homeowners are responsible for notifying both the builder and Tarion New Home Warranty program in writing of any defects before the end of the first year. If Tarion does not receive notice in writing within the warranty period, the claim might not be allowed. Coverage takes effect from the date of closing.
Two Year Warranty Protection
The Builder warrants for two years that there is no:
- Water seepage through the basement or foundation walls (in condominiums, this protection includes all below-ground areas such as parking garages)
- Defects in materials and work including caulking, windows and doors so that the building envelope prevents water penetration
- Defects in materials and work in the electrical, plumbing and heating delivery and distribution systems
- Defects in materials and work which result in the detachment, displacement or deterioration of exterior cladding
- Violations of the Ontario Building Code health and safety provisions
Seven Year Warranty Protection
The builder warrants for seven years that there are no major structural defects; a major structural defect is defined in the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act as any defect in materials or work that results in the failure of a load-bearing part of the home structure, or any defect in materials or work that significantly and adversely affects the use of the building as a home.